Friday, August 5, 2011

Avocado Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting


I have been wanting to try this out for a while now. Chocolate and avocado.  I don't see how you could go wrong with that combination!

I procured a recipe from this blog:
http://www.notquitenigella.com/2009/09/18/chocolate-avocado-cake-with-avocado-buttercream/
I was originally going to make a cake, but I only have One 9" cake pan at the moment so, at the last minute I decided to make cupcakes instead.
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup soft avocado, well mashed, about 1 medium avocado
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180C.  Grease and flour two 8 or 9-inch tins.  Set aside.
2. Sift together all of the dry ingredients except the sugar.  Set that aside too.
3. Mix all the wet ingredients together in a bowl, including the super mashed avocado.
4. Add sugar into the wet mix and stir.
5. Mix the wet with the dry all at once, and beat with a whisk (by hand) until smooth.
6. Pour batter into greased cake tins. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

So this recipe worked out fine for cupcakes.  Baked them 30 minutes and they came out perfect.  Very moist and delicious! And Vegan!

Then I messed up the whole vegan thing with my frosting.  Well, once again I veered from my original plan.  I was planning to make a vegan avocado frosting, but I didn't have a lemon, which was part of the ingredients. I didn't feel like going to the store, so I decided to look for recipes that would utilize ingredients I had on hand.  I found a peanut butter glaze that my instincts told me would go perfectly with the chocolate cupcakes:

http://www.recipegirl.com/2011/03/28/chocolate-chip-peanut-butter-pound-cake-with-peanut-butter-glaze/

1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter


My instincts proved correct! 

No comments:

Post a Comment