Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chocolate Pie


Pie recipe from:

If you have read or seen "The Help" you will know where I got my craving for chocolate pie..haha Just Kidding, but I just ran across the recipe and it looked good and the idea was already in the back of my mind so I decided to go with it.
I added orange zest to my pie and sprinkled almonds on the top.  I also thought it would be good with almond extract or raspberries arranged on top of the pie. (Lobster oven mit optional)

The not so secret ingredient....chocolate!


A new ingredient I haven't managed to buy until now- Agave Sweetener. I'm sure this will come in handy for many other recipes to come.


And the surprising top secret ingredient...Tofu!


Here's the recipe:
  • 1 package silken-firm tofu (such as 12.3 oz Mori-Nu or Mori-Nu lite)
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 T nondairy milk
  • scant 1/8 tsp salt
  • 8 to 10 oz chocolate chips
  • 2-3 T agave or other sweetener
  • optional: extracts, flavorings, or liqueurs
Pie crust is optional!
Basically you melt the chocolate chips in a saucepan on the stove top and then you mix that with the remaining ingredients.  Put in a blended or food processor and blend until smooth and then pour into prepared pie shell and refrigerate for a few hours or over night to set and harden.

I added orange zest and sprinkled almond slivers on top!


It tasted like a chocolate orange, which by the way is one of my favorite treats.  I always get a chocolate orange in my Christmas stocking (Yes I am 26 years old and I still get a Christmas stocking from Santa Claus)  My mom used to get a real orange and nuts in her Christmas stocking.  Anyways...


This was a bit rich, but delicious.  I would make it again and maybe try a variation.  I also saw a blog that made a version that added dried chilis to the chocolate:
Great idea!


I brought this for my coworkers at the museum.
I thought I would include a little bit more about where I work!
Here are a couple of the awesome things that I get to see everyday at my job:

 Foucault's Pendulum
As the day goes by the pendulum knocks over the blocks, proving that the earth is rotating.
Cool, huh?


Our pendulum takes 44.5 hours to make a full rotation.  If it was at the North or South Pole it would make a rotation in exactly 24 hours.  If it was on the other side of the equator it would go the opposite direction.

Beaked Whale Skeleton:

This guy hangs above the Museum's South entrance. 
I have only seen it move once!
During an earthquake it started to sway from side to side!


Stay tuned for more stories about recipes and the museum where I spend my days...

No comments:

Post a Comment