Sunday, September 18, 2011

Preserved Lemons


I was gifted a bag of lemons and was looking for ways to use them all up.  First I made a lemon meringue pie! http://lauramanthei.blogspot.com/2011/03/lemon-meringue-pie.html.  Then I remembered having seen a recipe for preserved lemons.

but there are plenty of other variations out there!

Basically you preserve the lemons with salt and their own juice, and various spices can be added.

Preserved lemons are used in Mediterranean cooking.  They can be minced and used in salad dressings, sauces, relish, hummus, tagines etc.

Also they are pretty to look at!
I plan to give 2 of the 3 jars I made away as gifts.



Well, it will be about a month before I am actually able to test the preserved lemons out, but I'm sure that it will be worth the wait! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment