Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Blue velvet cake

I was stumped on what dessert to make for Mother's Day.  My sister suggested this recipe for blue velvet cake. It was unique and looked good so I couldn't resist!

Ingredients included most of the usual pantry staples + blueberries. 


First mixing butter and sugar


Separately mix dry ingredients. Recipe only had 1 Tbsp cocoa powder so chocolate taste was pretty much nonexistent!


I kept adding blue food coloring, but it never got very saturated. 


Gently fold in blueberries. 


Bake in 2 9" cake pans. 


First cake layer on plate 


Next the cream cheese frosting!


Layer of frosting. 


Add second round of cake. 


Frost sides and top of cake. 


I thought it looked too plain so I decorated with some jasmine flowers. 



It reminded me of a blueberry muffin. The cake was not too sweet. Also this made a huge cake so be prepared for leftovers unless you have a huge crowd of people to feed.














No comments:

Post a Comment