Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Cheese Shop

I have passed by this place downtown many times and have always wanted to go check it out.  Afterall with the word "cheese" in the name how could I resist?

A bike ride downtown on Sunday provided the chance I have been waiting for...


OK so you go inside and you sit down at a table and the first thing that you notice is The Table!
I was fascinated and took a few pictures of our table.
All of the tables were different. I saw one next to us that had peanut shells and beer coasters.  Another table had all sorts of knives and other sharp objects. hehe






This place was not at all what I had expected.  I had imagined you would walk in and there would be a cheese counter at the front full of gourmet cheese and you could buy cheese by the ounce or put it in a sandwich.  I imagined a more "cafe" like menu with baguettes and quiche.
This place was more like a diner/deli.  They had american breakfast like omelets and pancakes.  People around us were eating brunch and on the menu they had mimosas and bloody marys.
The lunch menu was mostly hot and cold sandwiches-not all even containing cheese.
I didn't see any fine cheeses for sale, but they did have a display of "cheese shop" frisbees, and when I went to the bathroom in the back of the restaurant there were all these photographs of people posing with the "cheese shop" frisbees in locations all over the world. Weird.

Steve went with the club sandwich with a side of potato salad.


I had a grilled cheese with coleslaw.  I had the "pick your own cheese" grilled cheese and I chose the smoked gouda (and I said, "this better be gouda...") and added tomato.
The food was pretty darn good, but downtown prices.  So like $8-10 per sandwich and like $2.75 for a soda.  The service was great and the atmosphere was interesting.  I would have to say that I was glad that I finally gave this place a try, but that I probably wouldn't return any time soon because of the prices.  Also there wasn't anything that unique or amazing on the menu that I would have to come back and try.  Fare was pretty standard.  Good, but standard.





No comments:

Post a Comment