Saturday, May 28, 2011

Green Tea Mochi Cupcakes

These cupcakes were soooo good!  I am sad now that they are all gone- I ate the last one this morning...
I borrowed this delightful recipe from this blog: http://www.humblebeanblog.com/2009/12/matcha-mochi-cupcakes/



Ingredients

1 (1 lb.) box mochiko
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. matcha
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup oil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

I got the Mochiko and matcha powder at Mitsuwa, my go to Japanese market.


I decided to make a half batch of these cupcakes because the recipe said that it would make 24 cupcakes and that they only stay good for a day or two.  I brought them to work and I wasn't sure if my coworkers would like them, but they did! My boyfriend Steve on the other hand is not a fan of the green tea flavoring-actually he doesn't like tea of any kind he says it tastes "like grass or dirt."  I on the other hand LOVE it.  My favorite ice cream is Haagen Dazs Green Tea Ice Cream. Hell Yes!

First mix the dry ingredients together

Combine Eggs, Milk and Oil.  I used almond milk instead of regular milk!
Then combine this with the dry ingredients.

Pour into muffin cups and bake 35 minutes or so. (Recipe said 30-40)

When they came out of the oven I was surprised at how dense and hard the outside of the cupcakes was, but inside it was super soft, chewy, mochi-like deliciousness!

One complaint was that the muffin liners did not come off of the cupcakes very easily.  I thought that might turn people off, so I removed the wrappers myself -it was a delicate and painstaking process and hard to get the wrappers off in one piece.
I ate one of the cupcakes plain and I thought that it was really good, but decided to add some frosting because the cupcakes were not that sweet.  I kind of winged it as far as the frosting goes.  I used powdered sugar and a little matcha powder and then added some butter and almond milk till it reached the right consistency.




No comments:

Post a Comment