Sunday, March 1, 2015

Chinese New Year

My one regret is that I didn't take nearly enough pictures of this feast!  I had the expertise and assistance of my friend Lauren, who shared a whole notebook of recipes and ideas and helped me create this memorable menu!

Sesame cookies
Whole steamed fish- symbolizes abundance
Pork and ginger Dumplings with dipping sauce
Moon cakes- lotus, mung bean, red bean
Longevity noodles- long life. 8 different vegetables or ingredients 8 is Lucky number. Don't break the noodles. Long noodles =long life
Dragon eye pudding
Tea eggs
Leafy tangerines- must have leaves. The leaves symbolize money!
Pomellos with salt
Duck
Plum wine and lychee wine

Chiquita inspecting my leafy tangerines and Pomolos.

Tea Eggs
I took pictures of the process, but not the finished product.  They actually didn't come out how I wanted them to.  They are supposed to be dyed where the eggs are cracked to create a marbled or spiderweb effect, but for some reason mine were only dyed very faintly.

First boil the eggs for 10 minutes. Remove from water and let cool.


Use whole star anise

Cinnamon
And black tea and salt
To create a broth. This will dye and flavor the eggs
 
Crack the eggs all over, add to broth and simmer on low heat for 1 hour.  Shell eggs and serve.

Dragon Eye Pudding
Only 2 ingredients in this recipe!
Lychees in syrup and rice flour.

Reserve 2 cups of lychee syrup. 
In a saucepan cook syrup and 2 Tbsp rice flour until mixture thickens.  Add fruit and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment