Friday, April 22, 2016

Baking with miso

Ever since I've heard of sweets with miso I have been intrigued. Miso is fermented soy bean paste used in Japanese cuisine.   I have used it before to make miso soup and I have also used in a marinade for salmon. I looked at a variety of baked goods recipes and found some for brownies, chocolate chip cookies, and oatmeal cookies with miso. Originally I was going to make chocolate chip cookies, then I changed my mind and thought that oatmeal looked good. In the end I combined the two recipes and made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. 












The recipe used 1/4 cup miso paste.  The umami flavor was very subtle, but gave these a little something extra. I'm glad that the miso flavor was not too salty or overpowering.  I think that most of my Guinea pigs would not have guessed what the secret ingredient was.  I would be curious to try brownies with miso next. 










No comments:

Post a Comment