Monday, October 3, 2011

Carnitas

This was my first time ever making carnitas and it turned out AMAZING!

A lot of the recipes I looked at used a slow cooker or dutch oven to cook the meat, but since I have neither of those items I decided to go with this recipe where you first boil the meat for a few hours and then crisp it in the oven for about 20 minutes:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/718/Chipotle-Carnitas118108.shtml

7 pounds pork butt
1 1/2 quart chicken broth
1 large onion, quartered
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
2 teaspoons oregano
4 canned chipotle chilies en adobo
2 tablespoons adobo sauce from canned chilies
2 bay leaves
water
salt


(* I also added in an orange quartered and 5 or 6 whole cloves of garlic.)
Cut pork butt in large chunks. Add remainder of ingredients and enough water to cover the pork. Cover the pan and bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until meat pulls apart easily with fork (2-3 hours).







Remove pork from broth with slotted spoon and place in a baking pan. Let stand until cool.
Bake pork, uncovered in a 450 degrees F oven until lightly browned and sizzling (about 20 minutes).



I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to use my bird bowls :)

All the fixin's guacamole, cilantro, salsa, onion, limes..


Warming up the tortillas.


Dinner is served!


Delicious!



2 comments: