Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sweet Potato Upsidedown Cake



I was first impressed by this dessert when my mom made it one night when I was over for dinner  at the Manthei homestead.  She said that my sister had picked out the recipe, and she made it with some skepticism, but the end result was not only visually stunning, it was amazingly delicious! It was so good I wanted to make it again, soon after, in order to feature it here on the The Hungry Oryx, and to share it with my coworkers at the museum.

My mom got the recipe from the October issue of Oprah's magazine.  I found the recipe online as well:

The first step is creating a  caramel syrup.  Basically you boil sugar and water without stirring, and then you add in butter.


You pour the syrup into a 9" cake pan, and then you layer the thin slices of sweet potato.



Then you mix together the cake, which included rye flour, regular flour, one egg, yogurt, baking soda, vanilla, and other spices.  You put the cake batter on top of the sweet potatoes and then bake at 350 for about 50 minutes.


You let the cake cool for about five minutes and then you can flip it out onto a plate.


I think that when my mom made it, it came out better looking!
Also I forgot to add butter into the cake batter, but the cake still tasted OK with out it!



No comments:

Post a Comment