Sunday, October 7, 2012

Loon Sugar Cookies


The Hungry Oryx is back by popular demand!  More recipes for distaster and other random stuff!


My excuse for not posting all summer is that it's been too hot to cook or bake anything.

On the hottest of days, I would compare the temperature inside of my apartment to being trapped inside of a robotic rhino... 


I decided to turn on my oven for the first time in many months to make my coworkers some classic sugar cookies in the shape of loons- inspired by my recent trip to Minnesota, and the purchase of a loon shaped cookie cutter at the infamous Mall of America!



(See my Dia de Los Muertos cookie post for sugar cookie recipe: http://lauramanthei.blogspot.com/2011/11/skull-sugar-cookies.html)

These came of suprisingly well, considering how drunk I was when I decorated them! lol



Hear the eerie call of this magestic bird:

One of my aunts and I searched the lake by canoe in search of the elusive loon...


No loons were sighted, but we had the lake to ourselves and it was a beautiful day!


The loon remained ever elusive... but I did see some other fascinating wildlife on my trip.

Behold the albino squirrel!


Words can't describe the excitement I felt when my eyes caught sight of this beautiful freak of nature! 

Not much could top that regal rodent, but I got pretty excited when I spotted this fresh road kill being hauled away.  I guess it doesn't take much to impress this city girl









No comments:

Post a Comment