Saturday, January 12, 2013

Chiles en nogada

A Frida Kahlo inspired birthday party! 
I have a cookbook Frida's Fiestas written by Diego Rivera's daughter, Guadalupe Rivera about life with Frida and her recipes.  It goes through different celebrations throughout the year and the foods that Frida would make for each occasion.

Flower headbands for the women and mini bottles of patron for the men!
Frida would have approved of the colorful paper banners and flowers!  The beautiful serving dishes were a gift from my parents!



Stuffed Chayotes

Green, white, and red rice- colors of the Mexican flag!

Chiles en nogada- a dish also inspired by the colors of the Mexican flag!  I have eaten this dish several times in restaurants, but have always wanted to try to make the recipe myself.  It is a poblano chile, roasted, and stuffed with the mixture of ground pork and fruit.  It is then topped with a creamy walnut sauce and garnished with pomegranate seeds.


Mason's beans- This was a recipe of pinto beans flavored with bacon and chorizo.

A plate of deliciousness (and hours of hard work!)
I went with the theme and had my sister draw a unibrow to complete the look.


Thanks to my mom and sister for all their help in making this delicious feast and also for preparing and decorating for the fiesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment