Thursday, January 10, 2013

Eggplant Parmesan

This recipe was inspired by an excess of cheese acquired at a pizza making party!  I decided to put the ricotta and mozzarella to good work in this easy and delicious casserole.

In my dealings with eggplant I have had both good and bad experiences trying to prepare it.  I think that for success the eggplant just needs a little extra time and love to bring out its deliciousness!

 In traditional Eggplant Parmesan recipes the eggplant is breaded and fried.  In this easier and more healthful version the eggplant is roasted, and crunch is added by topping the dish with panko bread crumbs. 
Recipe found on this blog: http://lickmyspoon.com/recipes/ridiculously-good-baked-eggplant-parm/

Eggplant is brushed with oil and salted and then baked at 450 degrees for 30 minutes.  Flip eggplant halfway through baking time.  Be forewarned that the eggplant shrinks down a lot when you bake it.

Layer tomato sauce, eggplant, ricotta and mozzarella, more eggplant, more sauce, and more cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees covered for 25 minutes.  Then uncover, add panko bread crumbs, and bake another 20 minutes.

This is the second time that I have made this recipe with success!  The eggplant shrunk down a lot when I roasted it so I think that next time I make it I would use even more eggplant!

No comments:

Post a Comment