Friday, May 8, 2015

Interesting beverages

The asian market near my house has an variety of strange and exotic beverages that I have never tried before. Mangosteen, soursop, penny wort... Eventually want to try them all!

1.basil seed drink
Similar to chia seeds. Full of nutrition by with lots of sugar and a cream soda flavor! Lol 
I couldn't help but stop to chew on some of the seeds as I drank this. They have a gelatinous texture surrounding the seed. A bit sweet for my taste-it might have been better over ice so I could water down a little.
Supposedly you could use basil seeds as a diet aide if you drink a basil seed drink before eating- probably a less sugary version. I will admit I did feel full for a while after drinking this.

2. Chrysanthemum tea

This one tasted floral and earthy with a hint of sweetness. 

Supposed to help with circulation,  alertness, reduce fever, prevent sore throat and a variety of other ailments.

3. Soursop

I neglected to take a photo of this one. It was good! Tasted very light-kind of reminded me of pear. Not sour at all really...

4. Mangosteen 

I love the name of this one! It was sweet and delicious like lychee


5. White Gourd 

This one I didn't care for too much.  It had a flavor reminiscent of burnt caramel. Couldn't finish it!


6. Grass jelly

Lychee flavored beverage with small cubes of grass jelly. Was not too sweet with a taste I can only describe as earthy. I had to swirl the can to shake it up and get any chunks of jelly. The chunks tasted mild and earthy. When a chunk of grass jelly got left on the lip of the can I was suprised to see that it was more brown than green. It made me feel that the flavor was more like mud or dirt. Not bad, but also not my favorite. 


7. Bird's Nest White Fungus Drink

I have been too scared to try this one after reading reviews that other people have posted online. I will update this post if I ever summon the courage to drink this!

No comments:

Post a Comment