Wednesday, June 8, 2011

3 Meals on Maui

Here are some pictures of my top 3 meals in Maui.

#1 The Hula Grill

We were walking back from the beach looking at the menus of different beach side restaurants, and were intrigued by the chef's tasting menu.  For $25 it got you a starter, entree and dessert. 


Olive oil and a sweet chili sauce.  You mixed them together as a dipping sauce for foccacia bread.




My sister and mom both had the ceasar salad for their starter.


I went with the crunchy beet and Asian pear salad.


My dad got the hand wrapped pot stickers.


For the entree we all ordered the same thing; Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi!  So good!


For dessert there was the choice of Hula Grill's famous ice cream sandwich


Or coconut creme brulee.  Both were amazing!


#2 Aloha Mixed Plate

Second best meal would have to be at Aloha Mixed plate where the "Paper plate meets million dollar view."
Very traditional luau fare, also very affordable prices, and YES, breath taking view included!

Got there at the tail end of happy hour. Had a couple of perfectly executed Mai Tais.

I ordered the Hawaiian Plate:
Kalua pig and cabbage, lomi lomi salmon, poi and haupia.  Served with two scoops of rice and one scoop of macaroni salad.  Couldn't finish. $8.95.

Inside the small plastic containers from top to bottom.
Haupia, a traditional coconut milk based gelatin-like dessert.
Lomi lomi salmon- kind of like ceviche, a tomato and salmon salad.
Poi- notorious paste like substance made from the mashed up corm of the taro plant. Not a fan. 


#3 Bar and Grill at the Westin

Well, in all truth this was probably not in my top 3, but it's the only other meal I took pictures of!  This was at the Westin hotel I think? Anyways, the food was extravagantly priced and I found the overall dish to be too salty. 


What you're looking at here is a flat bread smeared with goat cheese and loaded with greens, beef strips, bell pepper strips, onions and mushrooms.  The mushrooms were crispy-fried maybe?  The beef was super salty as was the dressing on the greens.  Notable was the goat cheese, and Yes that is why I ordered this dish.

The goat cheese is from a local Maui dairy called The Surfing Goat Dairy http://www.surfinggoatdairy.com/
Delicious and on the menus everywhere.  If I ever go back to Maui I would take a tour of the dairy.  It was kind of out of the way so I didn't get the chance this trip.


The food on Maui is fresh and amazing.  Everywhere you go you can find fresh seafood, fruit and vegetables!
Thank you mom and dad for some amazing meals!



1 comment: