Thursday, June 30, 2011

Beets are beautiful


My love of beets is a recent phenomenon.
Mostly I have eaten beets in salads.  I am somewhat obsessed with Trader Joe's Beet Salad.
This was my first attempt at actually cooking beets myself.
The two most common methods are roasting and steaming.  I decided to go the roasting route.

First I peeled and diced the beets.


Then I tossed the beets with some oil, red wine vinegar and salt and pepper.


I roasted the beets on a foil line baking sheet at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes.


Once the beets cooled.  I made a salad with spinach, goat cheese, walnuts, balsamic basil dressing and of course, Beets!
I like beets alot because of the way that the earthy flavor compliments the goat cheese.


How can I talk about beets without paying tribute to "The Beets" legendary rock group from the cartoon Doug?  Lets take a moment to remember the musical genius of such songs as "Killer Tofu" and "I Need More Allowance."

No comments:

Post a Comment