Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pickles!


My first attempt at some pickles!  Although I have a great love and appreciation for pickles I remain intimidated and apprehensive about actually making them.
I decided to start with a simple recipe that I found online.  First seen here at http://www.dashofeast.com/2011/08/japanese-pickled-cucumbers-pickling-party-on-my-birthday/ via foodgawker.com.

I used a old jam jar that I had washed out and dried.


2 – 3 Japanese cucumbers
3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 1/2 inches kombu, cut into thin shreds with kitchen shears
7 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
Chili flakes

So Basically you salt the cucumbers.  Stuff them into a jar with the kombu.

Then you mix together the water, vinegar and sugar, and then you pour that over the pickles.

Cover the jar's opening with plastic wrap and then put on the lid.
These "quick" pickles will sit in the fridge for 12 hours before they are ready to eat.

I had gone through a few bad disappointment recipes recently, so I was skeptical about how these would turn out.  They were sweet, tangy, spicy, and crunchy and fully approved by me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment