Monday, April 9, 2012

Poached Pears

My first attempt at this.  Pears are my favorite fruit, but I never had an occasion to make poached pears- until now.  Decided they would make a nice light dessert to have after Easter dinner with my family.
Browsed a bunch of recipes on the web and ended up using this one as a guideline:

I put Steve in charge of buying the pears for me while I was at work and he did a fantastic job!


Peeled pears...

Simmer the pears in white wine with lemon juice, cardamom pods, a stick of ginger, some cloves, sugar, and ginger.  The pears simmer for about 30 minutes then they should be soft.  This made my apartment smell like hot apple cider. 



After the pears were done, I added a little more sugar and then continued to simmer the cooking liquid to reduce it.  I served the pears will a little dallop of ice cream and about 1Tbps of the cooking liquid.
I thought they were fantastic and I think my family enjoyed them as well.  I definately want to try these again or some variation.



No comments:

Post a Comment