Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Brunch at Alchemy

It's not every Sunday that I have the day off so I like to savour it.  This Sunday I celebrated my liberation by going to brunch with one of my best friends, Molly.  Originally I wanted to go to Urban Solace's Bluegrass Brunch, but when I tried to make reservations online, they were already booked for Sunday.  So we ended up going to Alchemy ( http://alchemysandiego.com/ ).  I have been next door to Hamilton's Tavern many a time, but have never ventured inside Alchemy.  I have looked at their menu before and have to admit that their squash blossoms stuffed with herb ricotta definitely caught my eye.

Well, it was a nice classy modern looking place with interesting things on the menu, but from my experience I can't say the food was that great.  I was expecting to be wowed, but overall the meal was kind of bland. 

I had the huevos rancheros.  This was a crispy tortilla topped with pinto beans, big chunks of pork meat (hidden under the eggs in this picture), and then two fried eggs.  It had pickled carrots and jalepenos, and salsa on the side.  Like I said overall pretty bland.  The salsa didn't pack much kick either.


Molly went with the BLT...without tomato.  So actually it was more like a BL.  Anyways, she proclaimed her sandwich "disappointing."  The taro chips were pretty to look at though.


I thought that the prices were fair and the servers were nice.  The bathroom had some interesting architectural elements.  I don't know if I'd come back here.  I might make an exception for those squash blossoms though.....

No comments:

Post a Comment