Saturday, July 23, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie


Strawberry Rhubarb! A childhood favorite reminiscent of summer vacations in Minnesota.
Something I have not had in a long time, and something that I have never made before.
Also my first time making pie crust from scratch-It was quite the adventure!

The story begins with rhubarb...
Strategically placed next to the strawberries at my local grocery store.
At check out the cashier had to look up the code for it, "This is rhubarb, right?"


Fruit or vegetable?  Technically it is a vegetable. 
The leaves are poisonous!  The edible part is the stalks.





Slice and dice your rhubarb and strawberries. 
Then you add sugar, cornstarch, orange juice, and salt.


Here is the pie crust.  First you make the dough, then refrigerate it for one hour so it is easier to work with.  Roll out the dough and then place into pie plate.


Then add the filling.


Then roll out the second pie crust for the top of the pie.  Seal at the edges and cuts some vents in the top.
I used extra dough and a cookie cutter to make a star for decoration on the top.


Bake the pie according to directions. 
The one setback I had was that there was too much filling and it started to erupt out of the vents and drip down onto the bottom of the oven.  I put the pie plate on some tin foil on a cookie sheet for the last 15 minutes of baking to keep any more filling from spilling out into the oven.


I brought the pie into work to share with my coworkers at the museum!
I was nervous because I didn't try a slice first and it was my first time using rhubarb and making my own crust and all, but it turned out fine.



Strawberry rhubarb pie success!

No comments:

Post a Comment