Sunday, November 27, 2011

Apple Pear Pie


Nothing says Thanksgiving like a homemade apple pie!
I took my best squirrel out on the town to celebrate..


I was in charge of Thanksgiving pies this year.  I made a pumpkin pie and an apple pear pie!  I made homemade crusts for both pies, but I cheated on the pumpkin pie and went with canned pumpkin.

This is the list of ingredients I used for the apple pear pie filling:
4 apples
3 pears
1/3 cup brown sugar
1Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg and cardamom
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch

This is my recipe for pie crust:

2 1/2 cups AP flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4-1/2 cup ice water

1. Whisk together flour, salt, and sugar  in a bowl.  Add butter and quickly cut in with a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal with some larger pieces remaining.  Drizzle 1/4 cup water over mixture.  Mix with a fork until mixture just begins to hold together.  If dough is too dry, add 1/4 cup more water, 1 tbsp at a time, and mix with a fork.

2. Divide dough in half onto two pieces of plastic wrap.  Gather into two balls, wrap loosely in plastic, and press each into a disk using a rolling pin.  Refrigerate until firm, well wrapped in plastic, 1 hour or up to 1 day. 



I baked this pie at 425 for 15 minutes and then at 350 for another 45 minutes.


My pie was loved by one and all and was rivaled only by my sister's turkey cake pops..




No comments:

Post a Comment