Wednesday, November 2, 2011

sugar skulls


Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 egg white from an extra large egg, or 2 from small eggs
  • 1 teaspoons light corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Cornstarch, for handling dough
  • 

    1. Sift sugar into a large mixing bowl.
    2. In another bowl, mix the egg whites, corn syrup and vanilla.
    3. Slowly pour the liquid into the powdered sugar. Mix with your hands until a sandy dough forms.
    4. Form dough into a ball. At this point you can continue or you can refrigerate dough for later use.
    5. Lightly dust surface with cornstarch as well as your hands. Pinch off a heaping tablespoon of dough and shape it into a skull.

    I had this soft plastic skull ice cube tray, so I wanted to test it out and see if I could make candy skulls using this as a mold.


    Here are some of my skulls.  The smaller ones are the ones I made with the plastic ice mold.  I didn't think that they turned out that great so I molded some larger skulls by hand..



    We decorated the skulls with black sugar icing...









    feliz dia de los muertos!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment